For those family members not on, or not regularly on, facebook, updates from us are probably few and far between. Truth is, facebook has probably drawn our attention away from maintaining our blog. We have also posted several pictures to it and it is only several months after the fact that I think, hmm, why is our blog not up to date?
I cannot blame the about-facebookers for holding out from the digital age. But in another sense, technology keeps marching on and if you want to draw a line in the sand and say, no more, and facebook is your Maginot Line, then so be it. I am not necessarily a proponent of facebook. It can suck you in and be annoying and filled with strong opinions or people who cannot get enough of themselves. Or it can be a nice way to keep in touch with people many, many miles away. Of course, the user gets to choose who they let in or not. Or filter.
I say this...I don't really know why I say this....I guess it's just nice to bump into family out there sometimes. But I also have not shared a lot of personal things, or over share, or over politicize or religiosize, or fill in the blank.
Long story short, I think the blog, unfortunately, is becoming a second (or third) tier way of communicating. We should be more mindful of it.
I feel a burst of posts coming on.
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm a Facebook holdout. I wish more of the family would post on BethandJims. I'm the only one to post there in the last several years. Maybe we can promote it at Reunion. Anyway, bring on the posts, John.
PS I still send regular mail too. You know, the kind that arrives in the mailbox on the front of your house.
And we appreciate it too.
TBH (To be honest), I did not know people were still posting to Beth & Jim's. I wonder if an accompanying email announcement with posts might help readership/participation. I think an automatic email list can be made for family interested in following updates.
Post a Comment