School has started and I think we're all still trying to settle into a normal rhythm with it. Mondays and Tuesdays are the longest days - Mon drops the boys off at a friend's home daycare since those are dedicated school days for John. Jake's bus picks up from there and Sam stays all day. The whole routine is a transition from the weekend with a lot of getting up early, and getting home later. Everyone is pretty wiped out by Tuesday evening. Trying to figure out how to make the process easier.
On another note we received a paper from Jake's teacher in his take home correspondence folder. Turns out they recently tested him (and everyone else) on language skills. He's fluent in spoken English but turns out his reading and writing skills test at a second language level. Meaning, he's going to need a little help to get caught up to speed with his Midwestern counterparts. Small price for two years submerged in Swedish I guess. In one sense this doesn't come as a surprise but in another the parental instinct wants to get a little protective. I'm sure he'll be fine.
As for Mondays...
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
He'll be fine....but the mama bear/papa bear thing wants to come out doesn't it?
We keep school day bed times on the weekends for the first month or so of school. For us it seems to help with the transition.
It's great your boys have two languages. I used to worry about the fact that Chris didn't have a computer when all his schoolmates did. I considered it not being able to speak the language so to speak right when he was starting out. Needless to say, he is very proficient now.
It's also great your teacher is giving you early feedback and showing the interest.
Hi, being exhausted by Tuesday evening doesn't sound too good since that's just the start of the week. Probably you just need to get used to it. Regarding Jake's language skills you need to see the benefit for your kids of having the possibility to become bilingual. I hope you keep the Swedish alive! I'm sure he'll be fine! Hugs from Roswitha
Post a Comment